Healthy Fast Food You Can Eat Safely
You’re in a rush to get to the office, and your normal breakfast routine is nowhere in sight. There’s only one thing that can save you: fast food. You’re not alone, according to Statista, Americans spend over $110 billion annually on fast food. But with all of those options and low prices, it’s important to remember what actually goes into your order. So we’ve put together a list of healthy (and some not-so-healthy) options at some of the most popular chains around town!
Subway is a good choice for a healthy fast food option. The Subway menu includes sandwiches made with whole grains, lean meats and low-fat cheese. You can also order a salad at Subway if you want to eat something lighter than a sub sandwich.
- A 6-inch turkey breast sub on wheat bread contains only 330 calories, 8 grams of fat and 1 gram of saturated fat.
- An 8-inch Veggie Delight salad with low-fat ranch dressing has 340 calories, 10 grams of fat and 3 grams of saturated fats, compared to the 500 calories found in Burger King’s Bacon Ranch Chicken Sandwich (which has 12g sat fat).
Panera is a great choice for healthy fast food. You can order just about anything on their menu, as long as you keep an eye out for the following items:
- Avoid the bagels, wraps and breads. These are all high in carbs and fat, which means they’re not good for you in large quantities. If you do want to eat one of these items, make sure it’s whole wheat or low carb (which they will let you know by saying so on their website).
- Avoid salads with dressing or croutons unless they’re oil-based dressings like balsamic vinaigrette or olive oil & vinegar; otherwise ask them to leave off any toppings that aren’t 100% fresh vegetables (i.e., no croutons). Also avoid any soups except those made with broth only, these tend to be healthier than creamy ones like broccoli cheese soup because they don’t have as many calories per serving size!
- Ask about substitutions: You may be able to get extra veggies added into your sandwich without increasing cost by asking if there is room in your meal plan before ordering!
Chipotle is a great option for people who want to eat healthy fast food. It’s one of the few places where you can get chicken, steak and veggies, but there are some things to keep in mind before ordering.
- Chicken and Steak: These items have very little fat and cholesterol, but they do have sodium (which can be high if you add guacamole). The chicken has 350 mg per serving while the steak has 200 mg per serving. If you’re watching your salt intake or looking for something low-fat or low cholesterol, then this might be a good choice for you!
- Meat & Beans: This choice has less calories than most other options, but it does contain more fat than others on their menu (about 10 g). Remember that this isn’t necessarily bad because not all fats are created equal (some are actually good for us!). Also keep in mind that beans are high in fiber which helps with digestion so even though there may be some extra calories here they won’t have any negative effects on your body like other types of foods might do if eaten too often!
Chick-fil-A’s new grilled chicken sandwich is a healthy option. The chicken is grilled and has no sugar added, which means it’s low in calories and won’t spike your blood sugar levels. It comes with a side of fruit and a choice of fries or salad.
For those who want something more substantial than just a salad, Chick-fil-A also offers broiled chicken nuggets that are baked in olive oil instead of being fried like most fast food chains do theirs. These nuggets are served with honey mustard sauce for dipping (which contains about 100 calories per serving).
There Are Healthy Fast Food Options
While there are healthy options at fast food restaurants, it’s important to note that fast food isn’t always the best option. You can make your own healthy meals at home in less time than it takes to drive through a drive-thru or order takeout. Fast food can be expensive for what you get and may not be as filling as a homemade meal, so if you’re looking for something quick then we recommend making your own version of these dishes instead!
There are a lot of myths surrounding healthy fast food. Some people believe that it’s not possible to eat well at fast food restaurants, while others think they should never eat the foods they offer. The truth is that there are plenty of options on the menu at many restaurants that can fit into your diet if you know what to order and how much to eat.